Saturday, November 30, 2013

11/30/13

   Over Thanksgiving break, there were many specials on tv having to do with President Kennedy's assassination. I watched some of these specials with my dad, and he convinced me to read the book Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly.  Granted with all of the eating and sleeping, I have only had the chance to read the first 20 pages.  But so far, I am quite interested and intrigued.  Yes the conspiracy is extremely interesting and even the facts leading up to Kennedy's assassination are interesting, but what I found interesting is the way the book is written.  Thanks to AP Lit, I found myself looking at the way the novel was written instead of just reading the book for information. It occurred to me that depending on the way the book is written a reader could be persuaded to believe that Kennedy was a great man or that he was an awful president.  The way the book is written could also influence the reader to believe the conspiracy against Kennedy or believe that a single man was in charge of his assassination.  In my opinion, O'Reilly does a pretty good job at stating the facts and keeping his opinion out of the novel so far.   It dawned on me though that an author has the power to make a reader believe or feel the way he or she wants by using the right syntax and diction.  A writer can make you hate a character by using negative diction or make you love a character by using positive diction.  How else do we have heroes and enemies?!  I do not read a lot of non fiction novels because to be honest I never found anything interesting about non fiction works.  Why would I want to read about something in real life when I could escape and read about a fantasy works that I only wish existed.  However, the more I think about it, I think non fiction works could be interesting. The author must have to focus on not sounding bias when writing non fiction novels. I know I would personally have a difficult time keeping my opinion out of certain real life situations. A question usually asked in English classes usually is "Can we trust the narrator and author?" "How do we know he or she is not biased?" After reading Frankenstein and Age of Innocence, it is common for authors to put aspects of their own life into their work.  If an author hates 15 year old boys who play guitar, then it is likely for them to negatively describe a character like that in his or her novel which could in turn convince the reader that 15 year old boys who play guitar are awful human beings.  How can we trust that not every author or narrator is biased? Is it possible for people to not be biased?  I think that no matter how hard we try, people will always sound at least a little bit biased.  The wording of every novel would have to be bland and perflectly worded as to not make people feel a certain way about a character or situation. Oh so complicated! Anyway it is time for me to either read some more or maybe go take a nap. We'll see which option wins!

1 comment:

  1. Ello Shea Bov(ay)e!
    I have actually read Killing Kennedy! I am not necessarily a huge fan of Bill O'Reilly but some of his writing is interesting. The book to me was very interesting and I learned a lot about the President, the era in which he lived, his past, his family, politics during the 60s, the cuban missile crisis, and even some of lee harvey oswald as well! I would really encourage you to keep reading the work itself, one interesting concept is the possibility of there being more than one shooter! Now I have looked at a lot of explanations of a possible conspiracy but none seem to be actually extremely factual in themselves. Of the many conspiracy the first original was written by Thomas Buchanan and was called Who Killed Kennedy?, published in May 1964, has been credited as the first book alleging a conspiracy.In 1964, the Warren Commission concluded that Oswald acted alone and that no credible evidence supported the contention that he was involved in a conspiracy to assassinate the president. The Commission also indicated that Dean Rusk, the Secretary of State; Robert S. McNamara, the Secretary of Defense; C. Douglas Dillon, the Secretary of the Treasury; Robert F. Kennedy, the Attorney General; J. Edgar Hoover, the Director of the FBI; John A. McCone, the Director of the CIA; and James J. Rowley, the Chief of the Secret Service, each independently reached the same conclusion on the basis of information available to them.
    You see what I just don't find credible is all the hocus pocus brought forward by conspirators... there is a whole article on http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/11/kennedy-assassination-conspiracy-oswald-cuba which really goes into the details of the theories of conspiracy...
    "Oswald was something of a Zelig. His past offers plenty of data points for anyone peddling an unofficial account of the Kennedy assassination. But in the swirl of supposition, there are hard and fast facts. The Kennedy conspiracy to undo Castro—via internal rebellion, paramilitary action, or assassination—did exist. It wasn't a secret to Castro and his devotees. And in the last months of his life, Oswald at times was fixated on the Cuban issue. His public actions were those of a passionate and committed fan of Castro and the revolution. (The CIA, not surprisingly, would not reveal Kennedy's get-Castro campaign to the Warren Commission, which was set up to investigate the assassination; consequently, the American public would not be able to fully evaluate Oswald's actions.)"
    I understand that Kennedy had many enemies but I just don't understand why 70 percent of Americans feel the need to believe in this conspiracy theory... I personally think it is because of us being unable to grasp that a nobody like Lee Harvey Oswald or Wilkes could ever kill somebody like the president.

    ReplyDelete